I have relaxed into the Class-Yes and the children now respond brilliantly to this, regardless of activity, noise level etc. Next step for me and the class is to improve Teach-OK, as this dwindled slightly, after initial enthusiasm. The partner teaching and choral response aspects fit well with Read-Write Inc and Maths Makes Sense, both of which are working extremely well in our school.
Over the weekend I read about the very promising AfL technique known as Pose, Pause, Bounce and Pounce! In this, teachers refrain from playing “ping-pong” with questions and answers, instead playing “basketball” drawing out evaluative responses from other pupils. For example:
- The question is posed to the whole class
- Thinking / reflection time
- Throw the “ball” to Pupil A for their answer
- The ball is returned to the teacher, who bounces it whilst all pupils think about Pupil A’s answer
- Pupil B is “pounced” on (asked for views and evaluation on Pupil A’s original answer).
- Continue to develop as appropriate
I love it! The depth and breadth of answers is incredible.